Position: Locum Support Worker
Location: Morning Star Hostel, Belfast
Accountable to: Senior Support Worker & Service Management
Salary: £11.00 per hour
Hours of Work: As and when required. No mutuality of obligation. However, the shifts patterns cover Early shifts, Late shifts and Night shifts.
Overall Job Purpose
Support the Team Leader (Senior Support Worker) and management in a residential setting with people requiring support.
An ability to motivate residents & assist in setting goals; assist in achieving them and reviewing programmes.
Effective communicator and an ability to work in a challenging environment as a team member.
A commitment to quality work within the ethos and traditions of the hostel.
Delivery of quality review and production of reports as required.
Ability to identify and address improvement opportunities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Meeting Residents Needs
– Actively promote and maintain an inclusive high tolerance, low threshold approach in service delivery
– Promote and encourage resident independence and assist in the development of upskilling strategies to promote move on
– Contribute to the development of appropriate Risk Assessment and Support Plans ensuring that these are completed in a person-centred manner
– To liaise with other staff on licence management and support needs of residents.
– To ensure that residents are able to participate in all areas of service delivery and that all services are accessible and relevant to their needs.
– To promote resident participation and principles of customer care, by providing information, advice and choices to enable residents to participate more fully in daily decisions relating to them.
– To deal with breaches of the licence agreement, sensitively and efficiently and in accordance with MSH policies and procedures. To record all such breaches and seek advice where necessary.
– To accompany guests to appointments as and when required at the request of the management.
- Health & Safety
– To be aware of and familiar with MSH Health and Safety Policy & Procedures and report any concerns. To work in accordance with MSH Health and Safety Policy & Procedures and the law around Health & Safety at work in order to ensure the safety of residents, self, colleagues, contractors and other visitors at all times.
– To take responsibility for the safe working of self and others and to ensure all procedures are followed.
– To carry out the supervision of all areas of the MSH accommodation including the sleeping areas, kitchens and other internal and external public areas to ensure the health and safety of all residents and visitors to MSH.
– To ensure that a high standard of hygiene is maintained both inside and outside MSH.
– To ensure that residents maintain an acceptable level of hygiene in their rooms and personally.
– To monitor access and maintain security of all stores, buildings etc., within the grounds of the accommodation, advise on and carry out action necessary to protect the accommodation, its occupants and facilities.
- Report Writing
– To provide written reports and information as requested, ensuring these are done in a timely and accurate manner while reflecting our compliance requirements.
- Policy & Procedures
– To work within and promote all of MSH policies and procedures.
– To ensure that the Equality and Diversity Policy and Procedures are actively promoted in all areas of work and those services are relevant and accessible to all individuals.
– To be aware of and promote MSH’s commitment to residents and user involvement, and to facilitate this in all areas of responsibility.
- Promotion Of Organisation
- To positively promote the work of MSH to other organisations and not to do or say anything that could undermine the reputation of staff, volunteers of MSH its ethos and traditions.
- To assist MSH to achieve its aims and objectives
- Training and Career Development
– Take responsibility for own ongoing learning and development
– Attend appropriate training as required for the role
- General Duties
– To maintain confidentiality in relation to any matter learned in connection with the work, including matters relating to other members of staff, volunteers, visitors, residents or organisational matters..
– To treat other staff members, volunteers and residents with due respect and regard to their beliefs, race, gender and sexuality and to promote, encourage and put into practice respect and understanding.
– You will be required to augment and assist in the cleaning of MSH and its precinct. To supplement the cleaning team within MSH to maintain the required standards of health and hygiene of MSH’s environment.
This job description outlines the general ways in which it is expected you will meet the overall requirements of this post.
The list of tasks is not exhaustive, and duties may be varied from time to time by the line manager. This job description is subject to regular review.
You will assist in the provision of accommodation & support services to people who are homeless ensuring a quality accommodation and support service is offered to residents
- Qualified to at least Grade A-C GCSE / O-Level in English & Maths or Equivalent
- Experience working with similar service user group with service users who present with complex needs and challenging behaviour e.g. homelessness, addictions, residential setting (experience can be from paid/ unpaid employment, voluntary work, student placement)
- Ability to use I.T. systems – Microsoft Word, Excel, email and input information onto data bases.
- Be registered or willing to register with NISCC before commencement of employment (you will be required to provide evidence of NISCC registration)
- An ability and willingness to work a rota that includes early and late shifts over a 7-day rota period including weekdays and weekends
- Demonstratable experience of issues affecting those who are homeless with multi-complex needs